Serve with warm naan or a crusty bread of your choice, or on a bed of fragrant jasmine rice.
- 2 to 3 dried red chiles, stemmed and broken into pieces
- 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/2-inch piece of fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 crab (about 2 pounds), cleaned and cracked
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons minced cilantro leaves
Soak the chiles in the vinegar for 15 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger to the chiles and, using a blender or food processor, blend into a paste. Scrape the mixture into a small bowl.
Add the cumin, coriander and cinnamon to the mixture; mix thoroughly. Add the crab pieces and stir to coat them well. Cover and refrigerate for from 30 minutes to 1 hour.
Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the crab and brown on all sides. Add the salt, water and sugar to the pan. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 12 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the crab is cooked through and the flavors have blended. Garnish with cilantro.